Sustainability through Participation Empowerment and Decentralization (SPED) is a project implemented by ESSS in partnership with Save A Family Plan India in 20 villages of three Panchayats namely Kadamakuddy, Mulavukad and Cheranelloor. This project is intend to create a process leading to critical consciousness of issues and problems within communities and to develop the capacity of people and organizations within that community to plan strategies to address them by effectively making use of available local resources and services. We accomplish this objective through developing local capacities. Major issues addressing through the project are Gender Mainstreaming, Sustainable Livelihood Issues of Women, Strengthening of Community Based Organizations, Food Security, Health, Sanitation and Waste Management.
SPED III Project specifically focused on Prevalence of Substance Abuse and Sexual Abuse among Adolescence in the target area.
- As part of Vocational training program for Adolescent Children, 50 selected adolescent children provided with DTP training from the target area.
- A street theater workshop and awareness campaign was conducted in 30 villages.
- Linkages and networks are established with Excise Department, Police and Health Department, Panchayati Raj institutions, Schools and other key organizations in the project area.
- Sensitization and village awareness programmes conducted on substance abuse, drug abuse, de-addiction programme, preventive and curative services available within the project area.
- Strengthening the existing vigilance committees in the targeted Panchayat.
- Promotion of Kitchen Garden to engage the target groups on productive and constructive programs for behavior change or modification
Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR)
Equipping the communities in the Tsunami hit areas of Vypin to prepare and to take adequate
measures to mitigate and manage the recurring natural hazards and disasters by developing human institutions and preparing task forces.
Major components of the programme:
- Preparation of Disaster Management Plan through Participatory Learning & Action.
- Formation & Strengthening of Disaster Management Committees & Task Forces.
- Establishing Linkages with Government, PRIs and other Line Departments.
- Entrepreneurial Development Programme.
- Children’s Development
- Water and Sanitation Programme.
- Construction of 440 rainwater harvesting tanks along with the tsunami rehabilitation works became a relief for the islanders.